Chilton Town Council
Call us on: 01388 721788

Local Places of Worship

Local Places of Worship

The Catholic Church “The Sacred Heart”

The Sacred Heart Church – Chilton Opened almost 60 years ago on Sunday 11th April 1948. The church occupies the main hall of what used to be Windlestone Colliery Institute, the remainder of the building being given over to a popular social club run by the church.

The Methodist Church

The Methodist Church – Chilton
The first in Chilton was a tin chapel used by the United Methodists, to the rear of West Chilton Terrace close to the top of Dene Terrace around 1900. Mr Bill Hedley, lay preacher, ran this chapel. The Army took it over in 1939 and it never reopened. This was followed by the Lane Ends Primitive Methodist Chapel, erected in 1906. Although built as chapels with differing denominations, it appears they were amalgamated in 1932 and became Methodist Churches.

In Windlestone, the Wesleyan Methodists erected a tin chapel some time after South View was completed, about 1890’s. It closed when the Trustees purchased the land to the rear of New South View and built a new chapel, now a church. It opened in 1913 and is still used to this day.

St Aidan’s Church

St Aidan’s Church – Chilton
Divine services were conducted in an end-of-terrace house in South View, Windlestone, on 25th November 1900. Through the generosity of the Rev. T. L. Lomax, who at that time was the vicar of Ferryhill Parish, St Luke’s of which St Aidan’s was a mission church, a church and hall were erected, of corrugated iron construction, on 11th July 1904.

The hall was used for Sunday School, social activities and meetings. The services were conducted by curates from St Luke’s. Sadly this church was destroyed by fire on 12th March 1928. The damage was estimated at £4,000, the value of the fittings saved amounting to £80.

The cutting of the first sod for the new church was performed on the north side by the Rev. T. Lomax and dedication of the site by the Venerable A. J. Rawlinson, DD, Archdeacon of Auckland on 27th April 1929.

Contact Chilton Town Council

Chilton Town Council
Hutton House
Durham Road
Chilton, Ferryhill
County Durham
DH17 0HE

Phone: 01388 721788

Useful Links

Local Information

Council Members

Council Members can access meeting agenda and other communications by visiting the members page of the website, this page is password protected.

Members Area